There is something special about home baking and many of us treasure childhood memories of baking with our families. Many of us too will remember how Siúcra products were, and continue to be, essential components of such tasty creations.
With World Baking Day on May 17 there’s no better time to get creative in the kitchen and we have two fantastic recipes below. If you’re looking for even more inspiration for your next special occasion head to nordzuckerireland.ie for lots of other great recipes. It’s time to make new baking memories.
Sprinkle surprise cake (pictured above)
For the sponge
- 400g butter, at room temperature
- 400g Siúcra Caster Sugar
- 8 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 400g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp milk
For the buttercream
- 550g Siúcra Icing Sugar
- 275g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp milk
- For the surprise filling
- A mixture of various sprinkles and Smarties
- Various sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas mark 5. Line four 20cm round cake tins with non-stick parchment paper.
- To make the sponges, in a bowl beat together the butter and Siúcra Caster Sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla.
- Sieve in the flour and baking powder. Add the milk and fold together until just combined.
- Evenly divide the mixture between
- the prepared tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack and allow the sponges to cool completely.
- For the buttercream, beat together the butter, Siúcra Icing Sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add some milk until the buttercream is at a spreadable consistency. Set 80g of buttercream aside for piping.
- Once the sponges are cool, use an 8cm round cutter to cut the middle out of 3 of the sponges. Set the uncut sponge aside, as this will be used last.
- To assemble the cake, place one sponge onto a cake board or serving plate, using a teaspoon of buttercream on the board to help the cake stick. Spread on some of the buttercream and add the next sponge on top. Repeat this step.
- Before adding the uncut sponge on top, pour various sprinkles and smarties into the hole in the centre. Top with the uncut sponge.
- Using a palette knife or offset spatula, spread the buttercream over the top and sides of the cake, making sure to fill in any gaps. There will be crumbs in the icing, so place the cake into the fridge for 30 minutes to set.
- Once set, spread over more buttercream to cover any crumbs and smooth out the buttercream.
- To decorate, use your hands to press the sprinkles over the top and sides of the cake until completely covered.
- Spoon the remaining buttercream into a piping bag, fitted with a star nozzle. Pipe swirls of buttercream around the top edge of the cake.
- Serve and cut into the cake to wow your guests with the surprise centre.
Top tip: Lay some parchment paper under your cake before adding the sprinkles. You can re-use the sprinkles that fall or you can easily add them back into the bottle.
Lemon & raspberry layer cake
For the sponge
- 300g unsalted butter,
- 300g Siúcra Caster Sugar
- 6 eggs
- 300g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp milk
- Zest of two lemons
For the filling
- 300g mascarpone
- 100g lemon curd
- 300g fresh raspberries
- 200g Siúcra Icing Sugar
- Juice of one lemon
- 100g fresh raspberries
- Zest of one lemon
- Dried rose petals (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas mark 4. Line three 20cm round cake tins with non-stick parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and Siúcra Caster Sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour, baking powder, milk and lemon zest. Mix until just combined, then pour into the prepared tins.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. In a bowl, gently fold together the mascarpone and lemon curd.
- Place the first sponge onto the cake stand and spread over some of the mascarpone filling. Add some fresh raspberries, then place the second sponge on top and repeat. Finish with the final sponge.
- In a bowl, combine the Siúcra Icing Sugar and lemon juice to make a loose icing. Spoon over the top sponge and allow to drizzle down the sides slightly. Top with fresh raspberries, lemon zest and some dried rose petals.
Brought to you in partnership with Siúcra