For the filling:
- 300g blueberries
- Handful of fresh basil leaves, torn
- 50g goat’s cheese
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
For the pastry:
- 200g flour
- 100g butter, cold and cubed
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 50ml cold water
- 1 egg, beaten
- To make the filling, place the blueberries, basil, goat’s cheese and sugar together in a bowl. Mash the blueberries with a spoon or fork and mix together.
- To make the pastry, put the flour in a bowl and add the cubes of butter.
- Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until you have a mixture that resembles coarse breadcrumbs with no large lumps of butter remaining.
- Stir in the cold water to bind the dough together.
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill for 10-15 minutes before using.
- To assemble the bites, dust a work surface and rolling pin lightly with flour and roll out the pastry. Cut into circular shapes using a pastry cutter.
- Place on a lined baking tray and fill the centre of the circles with a spoonful of the blueberry filling. Fold over and seal with a fork.
- Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with caster sugar for a golden and crunchy finish.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for approximately 15 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Siúcra.