For the cake:
- 2 oranges, washed
- 315g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 300g ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
For the orange syrup:
- 1 orange, washed
- 100g caster sugar
- 60ml water
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom water
- Toasted flaked almonds
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Wash the oranges and cook in the boiling water for two hours. Remove from water and allow to cool to room temperature. Cut the oranges in half, remove any pips or seeds, then purée. This step can be done ahead of time.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Grease and line a 20 cm /8-inch cake tin with baking paper.
- Beat the eggs and caster sugar with an electric mixer until thick and pale. Add the orange purée, ground almonds, baking powder, cinnamon and cardamom. Gently fold until just combined.
- Pour the into the prepared tin. Bake for approximately 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin.
- To make the syrup, the zest the orange. Place the juice from the orange, the sugar and water in a saucepan over a low heat, simmer for 5 minutes until the syrup thickens slightly, add the orange blossom water and zest. Cool slightly.
- Drizzle the cake with syrup. Cut into slices and serve with mascarpone and toasted almonds.