- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1 cup ground almonds - use a milled seed mix if you can’t find ground almonds
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp of freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp of cardamom
- 2/3 cup of oil – e.g. coconut oil (melted) or sunflower oil
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 9 tbsp water or plant-based milk
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup of maple syrup
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup pecan or walnut halves
- 1 tub of vegan cream cheese
- Zest of 1/2 an orange
- 2-3 tbsp of icing sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 180C (less if you’re using a fan assisted oven).
- Line a loaf tin with bakery paper
- Blend all wet ingredients until smooth, set to one side in a large mixing bowl. The outer layer on the chia seeds will turn to gel on contact with water and that gives us our “eggs” for this recipe.
- In another bowl mix all dry ingredients together.
- Add dry ingredients to wet. Gluten-free flour blends have different absorbances. If it feels a little dry add 1/2 to one cup of your chosen plant-based milk. The dough should be a very thick batter.
- Add grated carrot and nuts to the batter and stir to combine, pour into the loaf tin.
- The cake can take up to 50 minutes depending on your oven. Use a clean toothpick/skewer to check the cake. If it comes back clean then the cake is ready. If it still has batter on it, the cake needs a little longer.
- When ready (golden brown), remove and allow to cool for 10 mins in the tin, then transfer to a cooling rack. Allow the cake to cool completely before decorating.
- To make the frosting, mix the orange juice and zest through the cream and slowly whip in the sugar to your desired sweetness. Then refrigerate.
- To serve, simply spread the frosting around the cake using a palette knife or spatula. Instead of having it solely on top of the loaf in the traditional way, spread all around top with some fresh fruit and nuts to decorate!
You can also top with your favourite nut butter and chia jam for an even healthier option.