- 100g/4oz onion, diced
- 100g /4oz celery, diced
- 100g/4oz carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 splash white wine
- 200ml/7fl oz cream
- 100ml/4fl oz fish or chicken stock
- 50g/2oz cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 pinch fresh thyme
- 1 pinch fresh parsley
- 200g/7oz fresh hake, skinned and chopped into chunks
- 100g /4oz naturally smoked haddock, chopped into chunks
- 400g/14oz mashed potato, cooked
- Salt and pepper
1. Sauté the onion, celery and carrots in butter until softened, about 10 minutes. Add a splash of white wine and allow to reduce for five minutes.
2. Add the cream and stock, bring to the boil and add all the other ingredients, except the mashed potato, and simmer for five minutes.
3. Add to an ovenproof dish and top with the cooked, mashed potato. Cook in a preheated oven at 180oC/gas mark 4 for 15 minutes or until golden on top.
This recipe originally appeared in FOOD&WINE Magazine, June 2016.
Recipe credit: The Oarhouse, Howth
Photography credit: Harry Weir, assisted by Brian Clarke
Read more: Prawn, squash and spinach curry
Add tiger prawns for an extra special touch.