For the cupcakes:
- 15g instant coffee granules
- 150g margarine
- 150g dark brown sugar
- 25g dark cocoa powder
- 165g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 60ml coffee liqueur, approx 4 tbsp
- 3 medium eggs
- 300ml double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 30ml coffee liqueur, approx 2tbsp
- 1 tsp dark cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C (160˚C fan assisted oven, 350˚F, gas mark 4). Line a muffin tin with 12 muffin cases. Put the coffee granules in a small heatproof dish and spoon over 10ml (2 tsp) boiling water. Stir to dissolve and set aside.
- Put the margarine in a mixing bowl with the brown sugar. Whisk together until creamy and lighter in texture and colour.
- Gradually beat in the eggs and coffee liqueur until well blended. Sift the cocoa, flour and baking powder on top and using a large metal spoon, carefully fold the flour into the whisked ingredients along with the coffee liquid.
- Divide the mixture equally between the cake cases and smooth over the tops. Bake for about 20 minutes until risen and just firm to the touch.
- To decorate: Just before serving, pour the cream, vanilla paste, icing sugar and coffee liqueur into a bowl and whisk gently until softly peaking. Once whisked, place a dollop of cream onto the top of each cupcake a smooth to cover the top of the cupcake. Lightly dust each cupcake with Cocoa Powder and your espresso martini cupcakes are ready to serve!
If whiskey isn't one of your tipples, brandy or dark rum go well. Or, for more of a coffee flavour, Tia Maria is a great option also.