- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 block tofu cubed
- 4 spring onions chopped (for topping)
- 1 tablespoon toasted black sesame seeds
- 5 tablespoons cornflour (to be divided)
- 1tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon dark soya sauce
- ½ teaspoon five spice
- 1 to 2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
3 tablespoons cornflour
1/2 teaspoon five spice
1 or 2 teaspoon chilli (depends on how much heat you like)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Cube your tofu and toss it in the first coating.
2. Heat up your pan and add the oil, then pop in your tofu and fry till crispy and golden on all sides.
2 tablespoons cornflour
2 tablespoons water to mix
1 tablespoon dark soya sauce
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1. Dissolve the cornflour into water, add the soya and maple syrup.
2. When the tofu is browned on all sides, pop into the second marinade. Make sure the tofu is evenly coated before putting it back into the pan for a second sizzle.
3. While this is frying, toast some black sesame seeds in a small pan then add to a bowl.
4. When the tofu is nice and crispy and sticky, remove from the pan.
5. Add a dollop of sweet chilli sauce, sprinkle over your toasted sesame seeds and, finally, toss on your spring onions.
6. Serve with rice or noodles.
Image and recipe by The Vegan Honeypot