- 450g self-raising flour
- A pinch of baking powder
- A generous pinch of salt
- 50g caster sugar
- 110g unsalted butter, diced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 50ml double cream
- 200ml milk (you may need a little more)
- 1 egg beaten with
- 1-tablespoon water, to glaze
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and stir in the sugar. Using your fingertips, lightly work in the butter until the mixture resembles dry breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg, cream, and enough milk to moisten. Mix well until it has a soft, doughy texture – but not too moist.
- Gather the dough into a ball and turn it out on to a floured surface, then roll lightly with a rolling pin to 2.5cm thick. Cut out with a round cutter, transfer to a greased baking sheet and brush the tops with the egg glaze. Bake in an oven preheated to 180°C/gas mark 4 for 15-20 minutes. Leave to cool on a wire rack before serving.
Click here for more baking recipes.
- Add 110g of raisins and sultanas to make fruit scones.
- Scones can be prepared to breadcrumb stage and then left overnight for the milk to be added in the morning.