For the pumpkin mixture:
- 25g butter
- 75g cream cheese
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 100ml pumpkin purée
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2tsp ground ginger
- 75g plain flour
For the chocolate mixture:
- 200g unsalted butter
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 300g granulated sugar
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 125g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Grease and line a rectangular baking tin, approximately 20cm x 30cm (8-12in) and 3-4cm (1 1/4-1 1/2in) deep, with greaseproof or parchment paper.
- To make the pumpkin mixture, beat all the ingredients together until smooth. Keep to one side.
- For the chocolate mixture, melt the butter and chocolate together, either in a bowl over a pan of simmering water or gently in the microwave.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract with an electric hand whisk until thick and creamy.
- Mix in the melted chocolate and butter. Finally, stir in the flour, salt and pecans.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the lined baking tin and level off the surface.
- Using a tablespoon, drop dollops of the pumpkin mixture all over the top, and then, using the back of a table knife, loosely swirl it into the chocolate mixture.
- Place in the oven and cook for about 25 minutes, until the top is cracking and the centre is just set.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 40-45 minutes before cutting into bite-sized squares.
Donal Skehan is a home cook, food writer and television presenter who has written five cookbooks. Check out Donal's facebook, twitter and website and make sure to subscribe to his youtube channel for more culinary tips, recipes and food travels.