- 150g caster sugar
840ml double cream (90ml for recipe, 750ml for building the trifle)
30g unsalted butter
¼ tsp salt
2 cartons of Delicious Desserts Ready to Serve Custard 500g
200g 70% dark chocolate
2 packs of hot cross buns
- Begin by making the caramel sauce, to do this place the sugar along with the water into a saucepan and heat on a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Increase the temperature and cook bubbling for 5 minutes until the mixture has turned a rich caramel colour.
- Remove from heat, then stir in the cream, butter and salt, when fully incorporated leave to cool.
- Next make the chocolate custard. First, chop the chocolate into chunks and place into a heatproof bowl.
- Bring about an inch of water to a simmer in a saucepan. Place the heatproof bowl in the mouth of the pot, making sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl. Stir occasionally until melted thoroughly.
- Heat the custard in a pan. Stir the melted chocolate through the custard until combined and leave in the fridge to cool.
- Finally whip the cream to soft peaks and keep in the fridge until needed.
To build the trifle slice the hot cross buns in half and lightly grill them.
- Keep the top halves with the crosses to one side then cut the 6 bases into quarters and fill the base of the trifle dish with them.
- Drizzle half of the caramel sauce on top of the hot cross buns.
- Next add half of the chocolate custard on top followed by half of the whipped cream.
- Then arrange the six remaining halves of hot cross buns against the edges of the trifle dish making sure that the cross side is visible.
- Drizzle most of the caramel sauce over the hot cross buns, holding back a couple of tablespoons of sauce for the topping.
- Pour the rest of the chocolate custard into the centre of the buns and then top with the remaining cream.
- Decorate the trifle with grated chocolate and drizzle over the caramel sauce.
- Cut one hot cross bun into three small square pieces and add to the centre of the cream.
Recipe courtesy of Aldi