For the radish and cucumber relish:
- 125ml granulated sugar
- 100ml sherry vinegar
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 8 radishes, topped & tailed, and sliced
- 1 red chilli, diced
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled & grated
For the crab cakes:
- 30g butter
- 450g cod fillet, skinned
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 500g cooked, mashed potato
- Bunch of chives, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 100g fresh crabmeat
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Dash of Tabasco sauce
- 75g breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
- Handful flat-leaf parsley & lime wedges, to garnish
- To make the relish, bring the sugar and sherry vinegar to the boil in a saucepan and simmer for 10minutes until the sugar has completed dissolved.
- Stir in the cucumber, radishes, chilli and ginger and cook for another 5minutes. Take off the heat and set aside.
- For the crab cakes, preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
- Grease a sheet of tinfoil with the butter and put the cod loin in the centre, season with salt and pepper and wrap in the foil to make a parcel. Put on a baking tray and cook for 20 minutes, or until just cooked through. Set aside to cool. When completely cool, carefully flake the fish into large pieces. Reserve the cooking juices.
- Spoon the mashed potato into a bowl, mix in the chives, mayonnaise and mustard. Add 2 tablespoons of the fish cooking juice, then add the flaked cod and stir in the crabmeat. Add the parsley and hot pepper sauce and stir until combined. Season to taste.
- Shape the mixture into eight crab cakes, and place on a tray and chill in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs onto a plate and coat each side of the crab cakes.
- Place a heavy-based frying pan over a high heat, add the butter and oil and fry the crab cakes in batches for 4 minutes on each side, or until golden all over.
- Place two crab cakes on each plate and serve with some radish and cucumber relish, sprinkle over some flat leaf parsley and garnish with wedges of lime.