- 260g margarine
- 300ml Guinness
- 100g cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 420g caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 180ml buttermilk
- 300g plain flour
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
For the icing:
- 300g icing sugar, sifted
- 100g margarine
- 340g cream cheese
- Preheat the oven to 170°C /325°F/gas mark 3. Line the base of a 30cm round springform tin with baking parchment.
- To make the cake, melt the margarine in a saucepan over medium, then stir in the Guinness. Remove from the heat and stir in the cocoa powder.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and buttermilk, and then slowly add the Guinness mixture, whisking all the time. Next sieve in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder, and whisk into the wet mixture until it is all well combined.
- Transfer the mixture into the cake tin and bake for approximately 55 minutes. Test to make sure the cake is cooked by inserting a dry skewer into the middle of the cake - if it comes out clean, the cake is cooked. Set aside to cool a little, and then remove from the tin and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make the icing by mixing all the ingredients together using an electric whisk until light and fluffy.
- Place the cooled cake on a plate and generously spread the icing on top. Slice to serve.
Recipe by Clodagh McKenna for Flora Buttery.
Click here for more from Clodagh McKenna.
The cake will keep for up to 1 week in an airtight container.