Chicken wings are pretty high on our list of favourite foods, so to perfect this delicious dish at home, we decided to round up our favourite wing sauces for you to try today.
According to Musgrave Marketplace, we're not the only ones that love chicken wings. Around 100,000 wings are sold weekly, which adds up to over five million wings per year!
While there is a multitude of delicious chicken wing flavours available around the country, it's reported that Ireland's favourite flavour is hot and spicy, with barbecue and buffalo the next most popular. While you might associate wings with blue cheese dip, more than 60% of wings around the country are actually sold with garlic mayo instead, with American-classic ranch dressing rounding out the top three.
While we're big fans of the classic barbecue or buffalo wing combinations, we do like to spice it up every now and then. Want to try out a new flavour of wings? Check out some of our favourites below.
Korean BBQ Wings
Full of flavour and easy to make, this sauce is one of our absolute favourites.
- 150g caster sugar
- 120ml rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 5 cm/2in piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 tablespoons sriracha chilli sauce or other hot chilli sauce
- 120ml tomato ketchup
- 24 chicken wings
- Sliced spring onions and sesame seeds, to serve
- To make the sauce, place the sugar in a pot with one tablespoon of water. Cook over a medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the sugar turns a deep caramel sugar.
- Add the vinegar and soy (be careful as the mix will bubble and spit!), reduce the heat and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except the chicken wings, stir well and cook until smooth and thick.
- Deep fry or oven bake the wings, then brush with some of the sauce to coat. Caramelise the sauce under a grill, then pour over the remaining sauce, spring onions, sesame seeds and serve.
READ MORE: Chicken wings with honey glaze
Garlic And Herb Chicken Wings
Sometimes you're not in the mood for spicy food, so this chicken wing recipe will satisfy your cravings without being too hot.
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
50g fresh oregano, chopped
50g fresh rosemary, chopped
60ml olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 3 tablespoons natural or Greek yoghurt
Salt and freshly ground pepper
24 chicken wings
- Combine all of the ingredients except the wings in a big bowl and mix together. Add the wings and coat thoroughly, then cover the bowl and leave the wings in a fridge overnight.
- Remove the wings from the marinade and grill or oven cook until and golden and crispy.
What's your favourite chicken wing recipe? Let us know in the comments below.