- 125 ml plain yoghurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp crushed ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 600g chicken breast fillets, cut into strips
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 50g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 8 green cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp paprika
- 140g can tomato puree
- 150ml water
- 1 chicken stock pot
- 250ml double cream
- Combine yoghurt, lemon juice, turmeric, garam masala, chilli, cumin, ginger and garlic in a bowl. Add the chicken strips and stir well so that the chicken is fully covered with the marinade.
- Cover and allow to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the butter and oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, cardamom, cinnamon and bay leaf and cook for 2 minutes until the onion starts to soften.
- Reduce heat to low, then add the chicken and marinade, paprika, tomato purée, water and the chicken stock pot.
- Simmer for 15 minutes then stir in the cream and cook for a further 5 minutes on a low heat.
- Remove bay leaf and serve with basmati rice and fresh coriander. Garnish with red chillies if desired.
Recipe courtesy of Knorr