- 200g broccoli, cut into very small florets
- 450g dried penne pasta
- 350g diced chicken pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200g cream cheese with garlic and herbs
- 50g red pesto
- 100g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 slice white bread, processed into crumbs
- Preheat oven to 175°C, 350°F, Gas Mark 4.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and add all the pasta. Return to the boil. Cook the pasta until 'al dente' for 7-10 minutes. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Cook the chicken pieces until they are lightly browned and are cooked through to the middle
- Once the chicken is cooked, combine with the pasta in the pot.
- Add the cream cheese, red pesto and broccoli florets. Stir the ingredients gently (so as not to break up the broccoli) until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into a deep casserole dish (roughly 30cm x 23cm). Top with grated cheese and the breadcrumbs.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes until golden and crisp on top.
To make this pasta bake even creamier, why not try Mash Direct Broccoli with a Cheese Sauce in replacement of the broccoli stems.