- 6 medium-sized beetroot
- 75g pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- Half a clove of garlic, minced
- A good pinch of sea salt and ground black pepper
- 250g goats' cheese, cut into bite-size pieces
- 60g rocket leaves
- You can cook the beetroot ahead of time, simply wrap in tinfoil, place on an oven tray and bake for about an hour at 190C/Gas Mark 5 or until you can insert a fork smoothly. Remove from oven, allow to cool, then peel with knife and slice into quarters.
- On a large dry frying pan, over a medium heat, toast pine nuts, until golden brown, make sure to keep an eye on them as they can burn quite quickly.
- In a large bowl whisk together Dijon mustard, oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper and set aside.
- When ready to serve the salad, arrange beetroot quarters and goats cheese pieces on each plate. Toss the rocket leaves in the dressing and place a little on each plate. Finally, scatter each plate with the toasted pine nuts and serve straight away.
Recipe by Donal Skehan