- 3 egg yolks
- 200ml quality white wine vinegar
- 10g chopped tarragon
- 1 shallot (finely diced)
- 500ml Collar of Gold Rapeseed Oil
- 7g salt
1. Firstly, sweat the diced shallot in a pan with a drizzle of Collar of Gold Rapeseed Oil until translucent and soft.
2. Add the vinegar and reduce by about half.
3. Over a bain-marie of simmering water, place a suitable bowl over the water and add the three egg yolks and salt along with the vinegar and shallot reduction.
4. With a balloon whisk, slowly whisk the egg yolks until they double in volume and begin to tighten up.
5. Once the eggs are shiny and tight, slowly add the Collar of Gold Rapeseed Oil bit by bit until you get a sauce with a mayonnaise-like texture.
6. To finish, add the tarragon and keep in a warm place to serve with steak and chips.
Top Tip: If the sauce splits, use a little warm water and it will re-emulsify.
Chapter One, 18-19 Parnell Square N, Rotunda, Dublin 1, tel: (01) 873 2266.