- Oil, for greasing
- 2 tablespoons milled flaxseeds
- 6 tablespoons water
- 50g porridge oats
- 100g ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 lemon
- 2 overripe bananas
- 3 tablespoons nut milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 250g fresh or frozen blueberries
- 25g whole almonds, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease eight cups of a muffin tray with a little oil or use paper liners.
- Start by combining the milled flaxseeds and water in a small bowl. Let it sit for 15 minutes to bulk up.
- Meanwhile, blend the oats into a flour consistency and tip into a bowl along with the ground almonds, cinnamon, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Mix well.
- Zest the lemon, then juice one half only.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas, then stir in the soaked flaxseeds, lemon zest and juice, nut milk, maple syrup and vanilla. Pour the liquid mix into the dry ingredients and stir to combine into a thick, smooth batter. Fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon the mix into the greased or lined muffin cups, then top with the chopped almonds. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Leave to cool for 10 minutes before enjoying. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
Recipe extracted from No Fuss Vegan by Roz Purcell. Published by Penguin Random House. Photography by Joanne Murphy.