- 125g unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the pan (150 ml) whole or low-fat milk
- 3 eggs
- 200g granulated or superfine sugar, plus more for dusting
- 1 pinch salt
- 180ml + 1 generous tablespoon (20 ml) orange blossom water
- 450g all-purpose flour
- Scant 1 tablespoon (11g) baking powder
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 125 ml boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C/Gas Mark 6) and grease a standard loaf pan with butter.
- Place the butter and milk in a saucepan and cook over low heat until the butter melts. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together until pale and creamy. Add the salt, 180ml orange blossom water, flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir until just combined.
- Gradually add the milk-butter mixture, stirring constantly, until the batter is just smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and let rest for about 10 minutes on the counter.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until the cake is risen, golden brown, and the tip of a pointed knife inserted into the center comes out clean. If necessary, bake for an additional 10–15 minutes.
- While the cake is still hot, combine the generous tablespoon (20 ml) of orange blossom water with the boiling water and carefully drizzle over the top of the cake. Let the cake cool in the pan before turning it out onto a serving plate.
- Dust the cake with sugar and serve.