- 450g/16oz self-raising flour
- 110g/4oz caster sugar
- 110g/4oz butter-cold
- 1 egg
- 150ml/5fl oz milk, approximately
- Pinch of salt
- For the glaze
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Icing sugar
- Whipped cream
- Raspberry jam
- Fresh raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 190C/gas mark 5.
- Sieve the flour into a large bowl and add the salt and caster sugar.
- Add the butter to the mix and rub in with your fingertips.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg and add to the dry ingredients.
- Add the milk and mix together to a soft dough. If the mixture is too wet and loose at this stage, add in a little extra flour.
- Transfer the mixture to a floured surface and flatten it out to about ¾ inch in depth. Using a small scone cutter or a glass, cut out small circles and transfer to a lined baking tray.
- For the glaze, mix together the egg and tablespoon of milk. Brush over the top of the scones, sprinkle with a little granulated sugar and bake for 17-20 minutes
- Remove the scones from the oven and dust with icing sugar.
- Serve with raspberry jam, freshly whipped cream and fresh raspberries.
To make fruit scones, soak 75g sultanas in a little orange juice or whiskey for 30 minutes and add these to the mixture just before you add the egg and milk.