- 40g butter
- 100g leeks, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 40g plain flour
- 1 pint semi-skimmed milk, gently heated
- 2 Knorr Reduced Salt Vegetable Stock Cube
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 400g grated mature cheddar
- 75g parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 450g macaroni
- 450g fresh mixed vegetables (carrots, broccoli or any you have to hand), cut into bite-sized pieces
- Preheat oven to 220°C, 200°C fan, Gas Mark 7. Grease a medium-sized baking dish.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add leek and onion and cook until softened, but not coloured.
- Stir in the flour and keep on a gentle heat for 2-3 minutes stirring constantly. Pour in the milk, little by little stirring constantly and add one of the Knorr Reduced Salt Vegetable Stock Cube.
- Reduce heat to low, then stir in red pepper and grated cheeses. Stir until cheeses are melted and leave on minimum heat, stirring occasionally.
- Bring a large pan of water for the pasta to a rapid boil. Dissolve the second Knorr Vegetable Stock Cube into the water to season the pasta as it is cooking. Add a little olive oil to stop the macaroni sticking. Add pasta, bring back to the boil then simmer until cooked. Drain and put the pasta water back into saucepan and return to heat, add mixed vegetables and simmer for 5-10 minutes until almost cooked then drain.
- Stir the drained vegetables and macaroni into the cheese sauce, and turn into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of KNORR