- 300g macaroni pasta
- 400g leeks, washed well and sliced
- 50g salted butter
- 50g white plain flour
- 600ml milk, full or semi-skimmed
- 200g strong cheddar cheese
- 200g bacon lardons
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Boil a pot of water and add the pasta. Cook for five minutes. Add the leeks and cook for a further five minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Make the white sauce by melting the butter, adding the flour and cooking for a couple of minutes. Do not allow to brown or burn. Whisk in the milk and simmer for 3–4 minutes. Add the cheese, pasta and leeks.
- In a separate pan, gently fry the lardons for two minutes and add to the pasta mix. Check the seasoning. In a bowl, mix the breadcrumbs and chopped parsley.
- Transfer into an ovenproof dish, sprinkle over the breadcrumb mix and bake for 15–20 minutes in a preheated oven at 200ºC/gas mark 6 until golden brown
Recipe credit: Paul Breen of The Lovely Food Co
Once cooked, allow to cool before transferring to your fridge to set. Once set, it can be cut into lunchbox portions.