- 350g pack ready to roll croissant dough
- 50g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 1 tsp plain flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 50g golden caster sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla or almond extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 10g toasted flaked almonds
- 2 tbsp apricot jam
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Grease 6 holes of a 12-hole muffin tin with butter. Unroll the croissant dough and cut the sections into 6 triangles. Lay them out flat with the long side at the bottom. Cut off the top of each to make 6 strips about 5cm wide (the leftover tops can be used to make mini croissants).
- In a bowl mix the butter, flour, ground almonds, sugar, vanilla or almond extract and egg yolk into a smooth paste. Put a spoonful onto each pastry strip and spread into an even layer. Roll up each strip into a spiral, scatter with flaked almonds and put in the tin. Chill for 15 mins.
- Remove from the fridge and bake for 15-17 mins, until the pastry is crisp and golden. Remove each cruffin from the tin with a palette knife. Put the apricot jam into a piping bag with a small nozzle and pipe it into the middle of each cooked cruffin. Dust them with icing sugar and serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe courtesy of Tesco.