It's Throwback Thursday again and today we have a recipe from our September 2008 issue.
As part of this weekly series, we’re going to share some older content from our magazine to help look back at what the Irish food scene was like when FOOD&WINE Magazine started.
This week's recipe comes from Hugo Arnold, cookbook author, food journalist and hospitality consultant. Hugo contributed to the magazine for the entirety of its run, with his Midweek Meals and Easy Entertaining features firm favourites of our readers.
Get the recipe for Hugo's roast pepper and pesto pizza below.
Yield: Serves 2
- 3 red peppers
- 2 tablespoons passata
- 2 pizza bases
- Salt and pepper
- 125g mozzarella
- 8 slices dry-cured streaky bacon, torn
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved bunch basil, roughly torn
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Olive oil
- Trim, quarter and deseed the peppers. Place under the grill and cook for 10-15mins or until black and blistered. Transfer to a bowl and cover. Set aside for 10mins and then remove the skin.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas Mark 6. Spread the passata on the bases, season with salt and pepper and scatter over the garlic slices. Spread the pepper quarters on the passata and scatter over the mozzarella, bacon and cherry tomatoes.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-15mins, or until bubbling and crispy. Scatter over the basil leaves and drizzle with the little olive oil.
TIP: A juicy Californian Zinfandel with sweet berry flavours will complement the sweet peppers, or try a fresh fruity red like a Chianti to match the base and the tomato.
We’ll continue our Throwback Thursday series next week, so keep an eye on our website.