"This Indian-inspired spicing of the mackerel works really well with the strong
flavour of the fish." - Hugo Arnold
Yield: Serves 4
- 4 mackerel
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 1 garlic clove, chopped and mashed with a little salt
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons yoghurt
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm chunks
- 500g spinach, picked and de-stemmed
- 50g butter
- Olive oil
- 1 lemon, quartered, to serve
- Slash the mackerel three times on each side. Combine the next five ingredients,
season with salt and pepper and rub into the slashes and the cavity of the fish.
Set aside for 30 minutes to infuse.
- Place the potatoes in a pan of well salted cold water, bring to the boil and
simmer for two minutes. Drain and refresh in cold water. Pat dry.
- Sauté over a medium heat until golden brown and tender, about ten minutes.
Remove and keep warm. In the same pan melt the butter and wilt the spinach.
Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle olive oil over the mackerel and cook under a preheated grill for five
minutes each side or until cooked through. Serve with the potatoes, spinach and
a lemon quarter.
TIP: You can marinate the mackerel overnight in the fridge for a deeper flavour.