This tasty chargrilled chicken caesar salad is great for lunch.
"You can’t beat a good chicken Caesar salad when the mood hits you, and there
are many versions but this is our favourite. It’s easy to whip up in a hurry. Ideal
as a starter, lunch dish or light dinner." - Brian Walsh
Yield: Serves 4
- 4 chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 100g egg yolks, about 5
- 50ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 anchovies
- 500ml vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped chervil
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 12 slices pancetta
- 1 small loaf sourdough bread
- Olive oil
- 6 heads baby gem, washed
- Season chicken and grill skin-side down for five minutes until charred and
golden brown. Turn chicken and place in an oven at 170ºC/gas mark 3 for 15-20
- Place egg yolks into a food processor with the balsamic, garlic, anchovies and
- Add oil slowly and continue to mix until it forms a thick mayonnaise. Add
chopped herbs and shallots. Season to taste.
- Place pancetta on parchment paper and bake in the oven at 170ºC/gas mark 3
for eight minutes or until crisp.
- Tear the sourdough into chunks, dress with olive oil and season, place into the
oven to crisp up.
- Dress the washed baby gem leaves with dressing, arrange in a bowl and begin
layering up the ingredients including the warm chicken, crispy bacon and
toasted bread. Top with Parmesan shavings.
TIP: Make the dressing in advance and store in the fridge to use for impromptu