"There may be a temptation to buy the base but it’s really easy to do and delivers
a lot more oomph." - Hugo Arnold
Yield: Serves 4
For the meringue
- 4 egg whites
- 250g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping
- 700g really good strawberries
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 350ml double cream
- Heat the oven to 150ºC/gas mark 2. Whisk the eggs with the wire attachment
of a mixer until they form stiff peaks and then whisk in the sugar, one tablespoon
at a time, so the eggs look glossy. Whisk in the vinegar, cornflour and vanilla.
- Line a shallow tray with greaseproof paper and spread the egg mixture out –
you need something the size of a dinner plate but don’t worry about it too much.
The sides should be a little higher than the middle. Bake for an hour, turn off the
heat and allow to cool in the oven.
- Roughly chop the strawberries if they are big. Whip the icing sugar with the
cream and spread over the meringue. Scatter over the strawberries and serve.