Fun, and simple to make, these cupcakes are a great party showstopper
For the cupcakes
- 250g butter, softened
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 250g self-raising flour
- 100g fudge pieces, finely chopped
- 150g butter, softened
- 300g icing sugar
- 100g caramel
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 bag popcorn
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180oC/gas mark 4. Line a muffin tray with cupcake cases.
2. Beat butter and caster sugar until fluffy, add eggs, one at a time, until combined. Then fold in the flour and 50g of fudge pieces.
3. Spoon a heaped tablespoon of batter into each case. Bake for 18–20 minutes, then cool on a wire rack.
4. For the buttercream, beat butter, icing sugar, 50g of caramel and pinch of salt until light and fluffy.
5. Pipe buttercream onto the cooled cupcakes and finish by topping with popcorn, a drizzle of caramel and sprinkling the remaining fudge pieces on top.
Tip: Store these at room temperature to keep the buttercream soft.