Clare Anne O'Keefe created a hearty fried chicken recipe inspired by the famous tale Hansel and Gretel.
"The chicken is marinated overnight in milk and then poached. That’s the
trick for really tender and juicy chicken. Also, the poaching helps to ensure the
chicken is cooked right through" - Clare Anne O'Keefe
Yield: Serves 4
- 4 chicken thigh
- 4 chicken legs
- 1 litre full fat milk
- 4 star anise
- 230g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cardamom, crushed
- 2 large eggs
- 240ml vegetable oil
- Chives, to garnish
- Remove any excess fat and skin from the chicken. Place in a bowl with the milk
and star anise. Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the star anise and chicken from the milk and heat the milk over a low
heat. When the milk is hot but not boiling add the chicken. Simmer for 25
minutes then remove from the milk and allow to cool slightly.
- Place the flour in a large bowl and add the spices. In a separate dish, whisk the
- Heat the oil in a deep sided frying pan. While the oil is heating, gently pat the
chicken dry with kitchen paper. Dust the chicken in the flour, then dip in the egg
and again in the flour. Repeat for all the chicken pieces.
- Place the chicken in the hot oil, only cook two pieces at a time or the oil will
cool too much. Use tongs to turn the chicken and brown both sides. Remove and
place on a tray lined with kitchen towels.
- Garnish with fresh chives and serve.
TIP: Try with beetroot purée.