Fish pie is always such a comforting dish for the whole family to enjoy. Of course you can add whatever fish you like or whatever is in season. We think the addition of some smoked fish adds extra flavour but adjust to your own taste
- 100g onion, diced
- 100g celery, diced
- 100g carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 splash white wine
- 200ml cream
- 100ml fish or chicken stock
- 50g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 pinch fresh thyme
- 1 pinch fresh parsley
- 200g fresh hake, skinned and chopped into chunks
- 100g naturally smoked haddock, chopped into chunks
- 400g mashed potato, cooked
- Salt and pepper
1. Sauté the onion, celery and carrots in butter until softened, about 10 minutes. Add a splash of white wine and allow to reduce for five minutes.
2. Add the cream and stock, bring to the boil and add all the other ingredients, except the mashed potato, and simmer for five minutes.
3. Add to an ovenproof dish and top with the cooked, mashed potato. Cook in a preheated oven at 180oC/gas mark 4 for 15 minutes or until golden on top.
This recipe originally appeared in FOOD&WINE Magazine, June 2016
Recipe credit:The Oarhouse, Howth
Photography credit: Harry Weir, assisted by Brian Clarke