- 150g streaky bacon, cut into lardons
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 stick of celery, finely chopped
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 200g haricot beans, soaked overnight
- 200g cannellini beans, soaked overnight
- 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
- Sea salt and black pepper, to season
- Dash of Tabasco sauce
- Sourdough bread
- Fry the bacon in a large saucepan until crisp. Add in the rapeseed oil, and gently sweat the shallot and celery for about 15 minutes or until softened and completely cooked.
- Stir in the tomatoes, beans and sugar and bring to the boil. Season with sea salt and black pepper and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Add in Tabasco sauce.
- Toast slices of sourdough and spread each with butter, spooning the tomato bean mixture on top.