This traditional German recipe for potato dumplings comes from Anja Dunk's cookbook 'Strudel, Noodles & Dumplings'.
"Creamed spinach is a traditional vegetable accompaniment in Germany and is often eaten with buttery mashed potato and a fried egg- this is, I suppose, potatoes, eggs and spinach made a different way. The flour and egg bind the dumplings together in this recipe, so it doesn't matter which potatoes are used."- Anja Dunk
Read more: Homemade gnocchi with buffalo mozzarella
Yield: Serves 4
For the potato dumplings:
- 500g cold cooked potatoes (about 4 medium potatoes -these can be baked or boiled)
- 150g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 40g unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the spinach and Parmesan cream:
- 250ml double cream
- 200g frozen spinach, thawed and chopped
- 80g Parmesan, finely grated, plus shavings to serve
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to serve
- If using baked potatoes, cut them in half and spoon the soft flesh into a large bowl (keep the skins to bake into crisps). Mash the potatoes until smooth - you can pass them through a potato ricer, but a fork and a bit of patience will do. Add the flour, egg yolks and a little sea salt, then bring the mixture together with your hands to form a soft dough. The boys tell me it feels like play-dough at this stage.
- Dust a large baking tray with flour, ready to place the dumplings on. Now divide the dough into three and on a flour-dusted work surface roll each chunk into sausage shapes about tern in diameter. Cut each sausage shape into 2cm chunks and place them on the prepared tray. Set aside.
- Bring a large pan of water and 1 teaspoon salt to a rolling boil. Drop the dumplings into the boiling water; once they rise to the surface (after 2-3 minutes), they are ready. Drain them through a sieve.
- While the dumplings are boiling, put the butter and oil into a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Once the butter is foaming, tip the drained dumplings into the pan and fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown and crisp on all sides.
- Put the double cream and spinach into a saucepan and bring just up to the boil over a medium heat, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Once the cream comes to the boil, tum the heat down, add the Parmesan and cook for a further minute, stirring continuously. Tum off the heat and season with pepper.
- Divide the cream between four dishes, place the dumplings on top and add a few shavings of Parmesan and a grating of nutmeg.
All recipes have been reprinted from 'Strudel, Noodles & Dumplings' by Anja Dunk. published by 4th Estate, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers. Photographs by Anja Dunk.
Click here for more vegetarian reipes.