- 1 part rolled oats to 2 parts milk
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 pear, peeled, cored and chopped
- ½ teaspoon five-spice powder
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- 50g pecans, toasted in a medium oven until golden, toss in maple syrup, roughly chop
- Cinnamon, to garnish
- Pour oats and milk into a saucepan, add maple syrup and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally to stop it sticking to the bottom of the pan. Simmer for 5-10 minutes. Add a little more liquid if needed.
- To make the stewed pear, place the chopped pear with some water and the spices, cover and cook on a medium heat until softened – about five to six minutes. Mix in the orange zest.
- Ladle porridge into a bowl and finish with a spoonful of stewed pear, pecans and sprinkle of cinnamon.
Soak oats in the milk overnight.