A great recipe for a quick and simple dessert looks like you have spent hours on it.
"Tinned fruit has the advantage of consistency. And tinned pears are particularly good in this dish." – Hugo Arnold
Yield: Serves: 12
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tins pear halves (you can poach fresh pears, but tinned are actually rather good)
- 50g/2oz butter
- 150g/5oz sugar
- 1 egg
- 200ml/7fl oz full-fat milk
- 250g/9oz plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Cream the brown sugar and butter together until smooth and spread out in a shallow, oven-proof bowl. Arrange the pear halves on top, cut side up.
- Cream the remaining butter and sugar together and then beat in the egg, milk, flour and baking powder. Pour over the pears and bake in a preheated oven, 180ºC/gas mark 4 for one hour.
- Turn out while still hot and serve with a great deal of cream.
Tip: Whole spices like star anise or cinnamon bark are a good addition.