This classic tapas recipe comes from Dan Keane at Urban Brewing in Dublin.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 10g of thyme
- 2 red chillies
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 20ml of red wine vinegar
- 20g demerara sugar
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- 1kg of Maris piper/Agria potatoes
- 1 litre rapeseed oil
- Heat a little oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, herbs, chilli and garlic and sweat until translucent and sweet.
- Mix in the tomatoes, sugar and vinegar. Cook for one hour on a low heat, stirring occasionally to ensure it doesn’t stick.
- Remove the herbs and blend the mix with a blender until smooth. Season with freshly ground salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut the potatoes into a large dice, approximately 1.5cm each.
- In a pot of salted water, bring the potatoes to a boil for 5 minutes. Drain and let steam off for another 5 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a deep fat fryer to 145°C. Cook the potatoes for 4 mins, then remove them from the fryer and allow to cool.
- Heat the fryer to 180°C and fry the potatoes for a further 4 minutes.
- Heat up the sauce gently, spoon on top of the potatoes and serve.