Who said salads are the preserve of the summer months? Get your fix of seasonal vegetables and leaves with this winter-friendly salad recipe from chef José Simon
"This is a good option for a light, autumnal or wintery main course. The combination of seasonal pumpkin and pastrami with the union of the peppery rocket and Parmesan works well"- José Simon
Yield: Serves 4
- 400g pumpkin or squash, cut into 3cm pieces
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon muscovado sugar
- 4 handfuls rocket
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 8 slices pastrami
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted in a dry frying until just coloured
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/390ºF. Toss the pumpkin in olive oil, season with salt and roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until brown and caramelised. Allow to cool.
- Toss the oatmeal with the butter and sugar, then place in the oven on the shelf below the pumpkin. Cook until just toasted, then remove and allow to cool.
- To make the salad, toss the pumpkin with the rocket leaves, season with salt and pepper and add the vinegar. Lay the pastrami slices on top and scatter over the oatmeal and pumpkin seeds. Finish with Parmesan shavings.
TIP: In place of toasting the seeds, soak in brine and allow to dry on a tray overnight.