This recipe is a family favourite of the O'Connell's from Cullahill, Co. Laois. The O'Connell siblings like to meet up for picnics and Blathnaid makes this salad to bring with her.
This salad is one of Blathnaid's specialities and it pairs perfectly with roast chicken.
Yield: Serves 8
- 300g red cabbage, shredded
- 300g carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 heaped tablespoon mixed seeds, toasted
- 30g hazelnuts
- 3 tablespoons sultanas
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper
- Toast the hazelnuts in an oven at 180°C for 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, chop the nuts roughly.
- Soak the sultanas in boiling water for 10 minutes, then drain.
- Combine all the ingredients, adding salt and pepper to taste. Serve in a large bowl, letting your guests help themselves.
TIP: If you want to prepare the salad ahead of time, mix together all the ingredients except the mayonnaise, then just before serving mix through the mayo.
Photography: Harry Weir