The contenders in this year’s Ireland’s Great Roast 2019 competition in association with Knorr Professional have been announced.
The competition, formerly known as the Great Carvery of the Year - has been running for a decade and its aim is to find the very best roast in pubs and hotels on the island of Ireland.
The shortlisted venues will be visited by a mystery diner and entries are judged on innovation, seasonality and the ability to cater to customers who have special dietary needs. There will be winners in each province and two overall winners: Ireland’s Great Roast Pub 2019 and Ireland’s Great Roast Hotel 2019. Last year, the Castle Hotel in Macroom, County Cork, and the Silken Thomas in Kildare were awarded the top accolades. You can see last year’s winners talking about the competition here:
This year, the overall winners will receive a €3,000 kitchen equipment voucher, 150,000 UFS Chef Rewards points a framed certificate and 5x winners chef jackets. The winning regional pubs and hotels will receive 3x branded chef jackets and a framed award to mark the achievement.
The 2019 shortlist:
- Castle Hotel - Co. Cork
- Limerick Strand Hotel - Limerick
- Oriel House Hotel - Ballincollig, Cork
- Quality Hotel - Youghal, Co. Cork
- Kirby's Brogue Inn - Co. Kerry
- Bull McCabe's - Cork
- Mulcahy's Bar & Restaurant - Clonmel, Co. Tipperary
- The Gallery Bar & Restaurant - Mallow, Co. Cork
- Talbot Hotel - Stillorgan, Dublin
- Ashdown Park Hotel - Gorey, Co. Wexford
- Whitford House Hotel - Wexford