The recent World Beer Awards 2019 has seen the incredible success of Kildare-based Rye River Brewing Company. With winners in no less than 21 categories, the company beat off lots of competition to win the title of “World’s most decorated independent craft brewery”.
The Rye River Brewing Company produces beers under the brands McGargles and Rye River Seasonal. They also supply private and exclusive craft beers to some of Ireland’s largest retailers. With nine awards, the McGargles range topped the list with its core range, available in all major retailers across Ireland.
The Crafty Brewing Company, produced exclusively for Lidl and available in over 20 countries across Europe, the Solas range, sold exclusively to Tesco Ireland, and Grafters, only available in Dunnes Stores, also obtained accolades. Overall, 21 of the 30 beers Rye River produces took awards home - an unprecedented achievement.
Established in 2013, Rye River Brewing has achieved a phenomenal 130 awards, becoming in just a few years one of the most influential craft beer breweries in Ireland.
"It’s a great achievement", commented to us Tom Cronin, Founder and Managing Director of Rye River Brewing. "We won 19 awards last year, 21 this year, so it is a nice recognition from international judges, who don’t know what they are drinking, that we are constantly brewing good beer. It reaffirms that we are consistent at what we do and able to compete with some of the best breweries in the world."
While he acknowledges that "there are some really great breweries in Ireland", Tom thinks that the difference is in the way they craft their beers. "It goes back to the work we do, every beer we produce has its own water profile, depending on the particular beer style. We also have a traditional malting method. We try and buy very fresh hop. We only brew in small batch of 2,500 litres. We don’t filter, we don’t pasteurise. We fabricate our own yeast in-house; all of these elements give us more control on the products and have an impact on the flavour profile."
The World Beer Awards is an international competition celebrating beers from 30 countries, with over 2,000 beers entering the awards.
The 2019 award wins for Rye River Brewing Company are listed below:
World’s Best IPA American Style:
- McGargles Francis’ Big Bangin’ IPA.
12 Country Style Winners for:
- McGargles Francis’ Big Bangin’ IPA
- Solas Brown Porter
- Grafters Clocking off Kolsch style
- McGargles Dan’s Double IPA
- The Crafty Brewing Company American Style Pale Wheat Ale
- McGargles Daragh's Session IPA
- McGargles Bill's Wheat IPA
- McGargles Ned's Retro IPA
- McGargles Granny's Red Ale
- The Crafty Brewing Company American Style Brown Ale
- Rye River Mother Pucker Blackberry Sour
- Rye River Belgian Imperial Stout
4 Gold Medal Winners:
- McGargles Rosie's Pale Ale
- Rye River Miami J IPA
- The Crafty Brewing Company Irish Red Ale
- The Crafty Brewing Company Irish Stout
3 Silver Medal Winners:
- McGargles Jim’s Stout
- Grafters Working Day IPA
- The Crafty Brewing Company Irish Pale Ale
1 Bronze Medal Winner:
- Rye River Just The Tipple Spruce Tip Saison