Want to enter the S.Pellegrino Young Chef Academy Competition but not really sure how to go about it? Well, you're in luck as Mark Moriarty, the inaugural winner of the competition, has shared his top tips to help young chefs emulate his successful entry.
Probably best known for his time at The Greenhouse restaurant - he was part of Mickael Viljanen's team that secured the spot two Michelin stars - and television shows like Beyond the Menu, Moriarty entered the competition in 2015 and subsequently took home the title. After securing the win, Moriarty's career seriously skyrocketed thanks to the international recognition associated with the competition; he has worked with top names in the food industry and a range of international brands, as well as establishing himself on television and in award-winning kitchens.
This year, Moriarty will return to the competition in a new capacity: juror. To help guide young chefs through their entries, he has shared some of his top tips below. Check them out if you're planning to enter and don't forget to submit your application by June 30 2022 here.
Mark Moriarty's top tips for entering the S.Pellegrino Young Chef Academy Competition
- Choose a delicious yet practical dish that is technically perfect and that you are confident in executing each element.
- Bring your personality to the dish. It’s important that judges can tell what kind of chef you are and what you represent.
- Make sure your dish has global relevance incorporating timely references, like sustainability for example. Your dish should be more than a series of complementary ingredients, it’s a vehicle for telling a story and an opportunity to create a moment of theatre.
- Cook something you are passionate about. Create a plate of food that has a message behind it.
- Don't focus solely on seasonality, as it can often hinder you in a global competition that runs throughout the year.
- They say a ‘picture paints a thousand words’ and this is especially true here. Before you ever get to cook your plate of food, you’ll be judged on the image you submit so make sure it looks as good on the page as it does in the kitchen.
The S.Pellegrino Young Chef Academy Competition 2022/23 will offer young chefs the opportunity to start an inspiring and educational journey, gaining global visibility and significant professional prestige, culminating in the Grand Finale event in 2023.
Young chefs under 30 years of age can register for the S.Pellegrino Young Chef Academy Competition 2022-23 on www.sanpellegrinoyoungchefacademy.com until 30th June 2022. Applicants must provide personal and professional information as well as their own recipe for the all-important signature dish which should showcase their personal vision, unique skills, and creativity.
To discover more about the initiative or to apply for the S.Pellegrino Young Chef Academy Competition 2022-23 click here.