The second annual Irish Food Writing Awards took place at Fallon & Byrne in Dublin city centre last night with 20 awards up for grabs on the night.
Judged by renowned international judges like Jay Rayner, Diana Henry, Xanthe Clay and others, more than 250 entries were received this year, which were then whittled down to 75 finalists. For the second year in a row, our magazine was given the Irish Food Magazine/Supplement Award, which was sponsored by Invest Northern Ireland. Also nominated in this category was The Irish Times food section, Irish Country Living Magazine, and the Irish Examiner food section. Assistant editor Jordan Mooney also took home the Writing on International Cuisines Award.
The Irish Food Writing Awards were founded in 2021 by Suzanne Campbell and Suzanne O'Connor as a way to "recognise and celebrate the high quality of food and drink writing from throughout the island of Ireland, across print, broadcast and online."
Speaking about this second year, Campbell said that she was very happy with the success of the awards.
"We were overwhelmed with the amount of entries in this, our second year of the awards," Campbell said of the venture. "It's been a great experience again working with our international judges and Irish food and drink sponsor companies without which the awards couldn't have happened. Myself and colleague Paul O’Connor set this up just last year to recognise excellence and the hard work of writers and food media.”
The full list of winners are as follows:
- IRISH FOOD PRODUCERS – Caroline Hennessy. Judged by Diana Henry, sponsored by Irish Angus.
- INTERNATIONAL CUISINES – Jordan Mooney. Judged by Anjula Devi, sponsored by Safco Fine Foods.
- COOKBOOK OF THE YEAR - Blasta Books Series One. Judged by Jay Rayner and Dr. Annie Gray. Sponsored by Gathered Ireland.
- INVESTIGATIVE WRITING - Niall Sargent. Judged by Dan Saladino, sponsored by Drummond House Garlic.
- BEER WRITING - John Duffy. Judged by Richard Croasdale, sponsored by BRÚ Brewery.
- EMERGING VOICE IN IRISH FOOD WRITING - John Mulgrew. Judged by Charlotte Pike, sponsored by Clayton Hotels.
- OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT AWARD - Kristin Jensen. Sponsored by James Whelan Butcher.
- IRISH FOOD MAGAZINE/SUPPLEMENT AWARD - Food&Wine Magazine. Judged by Esterelle Payany, sponsored by Invest Northern Ireland.
- IRISH FOOD OR DRINK PODCAST - That’s Bangin’ Podcast, Marcus O’Laoire and Chris Mellon. Judged by Nigel Barden, sponsored by Sharon Noonan.
- FOOD WRITING AWARD - Kate Ryan. Judged by Colman Andrews, sponsored by Bord Bia.
- IRISH FOOD BLOG AWARD - The Irish Food Guide, Zack Gallagher. Judged by Bill King, sponsored by Pestle+Mortar.
- COOKERY WRITING AWARD - Lilly Higgins. Judged by Trish Deseine, sponsored by Ardkeen Grocery.
- COOKERY WRITING AWARD - Jess Murphy. Judged by Trish Deseine, sponsored by Ardkeen Grocery.
- WRITING ON SUSTAINABILITY IN IRISH FOOD AWARD - Niall Sargeant. Judged by Rene Redzepi and Catherine Mack.
- FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY (PROFESSIONAL CATEGORY) - Katie Quinn. Judged by Joann Pai.
- FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY (AMATEUR CATEGORY) - Macu Higueras. Judged by Joann Pai.
- CULINARY STUDENT AWARD - Anissa Mokhtari -Technical University Dublin. Judged by Jess Murphy and Gar Mullins, sponsored by Kerrygold.
- IRISH FOOD ON INSTAGRAM/TIKTOK AWARD - Dublin Foodie Twins. Judged by Andy Clarke, sponsored by Coole Swan.
- RESTAURANT WRITING AWARD - Corinna Hardgrave. Judged by Xanthe Clay and Tom Parker Bowles, sponsored by Fallon & Byrne.
- WINE WRITING AWARD - Susan Boyle. Judged by Fiona Beckett, sponsored by Whelehan’s Wines.
- DRINKS WRITING AWARD - Aoife Carrigy. Judged by Rachel McCormack, sponsored by Powerscourt Distillery.
Food&Wine Magazine is available free with the Business Post on the first Sunday of each month. Subscribers can also read the magazine online on the Business Post’s e-reader - click here to subscribe. For daily content and updates, make sure to follow us on social media.