The perfect breakfast recipe.
"This is a fantastic dish for breakfast or a light dinner. The candied walnuts and crumbled goat’s cheese with a drizzle of honey jazzes up an old favourite." – Brian Walsh
Yield: Serves: 4
- 100g/4oz caster sugar
- 100ml/4fl oz water
- 100g/4oz walnuts
- Oil for deep frying
- 500g/17oz mixed mushroom, sliced
- 8 flat cap mushrooms
- 50g/2oz butter
- 100g/4oz shallots, sliced
- 50ml/2fl oz Madeira
- 200ml/7fl oz cream
- 1 bunch tarragon and chervil, chopped
- Sourdough bread, to serve
- 100g/4oz goat’s cheese
- Honey, to garnish
- Bring the sugar, water and walnuts to the boil for 10 minutes until tender. Strain nuts and allow to dry. Deep fry in clean oil for two minutes until crisp.
- In a hot pan, fry the sliced mixed mushrooms in butter. Add sliced shallots and cook until tender.
- Deglaze the pan with Madeira and allow to reduce. Add the cream and reduce by half. Add chopped herbs.
- Meanwhile, drizzle the flat cap mushrooms with oil and place on a tray in a preheated oven at 180ºC/gas mark 4 for 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Toast the sourdough bread.
- Place the cooked flat cap mushrooms on the toast. Spoon over the mushroom mix and crumble the goat’s cheese on top.
- Crush candied walnuts on top and drizzle with honey before serving.
TIP: For a slightly healthier version, replace the cream with crème fraîche.