This is a great recipe for parties and gatherings, particularly since it caters to vegetarian guests. The ready-made pastry takes all the work out of it.
- 1 sheet ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 150g/ 5.2oz mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 150g/5.2oz goat’s cheese, crumbled
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 egg, beaten
- Rocket, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas mark 6. Roll out the pastry onto a baking tray. Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, slice into four or six rectangles create a border within each rectangle. Place into the fridge.
- Add the olive oil to a frying pan and fry off the sliced onion until soft. Add the vinegar and sugar and continue to fry for several minutes. Set aside.
- Add the butter to the same pan used for the onions and fry off the mushrooms until soft. Set aside.
- Crumble the goat’s cheese and sprinkle in some thyme.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge. Top each rectangle with some fried onions and mushrooms and top with the goat’s cheese. Use the beaten egg to glaze the outside of the pastry and bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, until the pastry is golden and the cheese melted.
- Serve with some rocket leaves and a drizzle of olive oil.
TIP: Make double the amount of caramelised onion and use for burger toppings, with steak or serve with mushrooms on toast.