F&W Pick: Kalefornia bowl
Author: Molly Watson
Photography by Nicole Franzen
abrams&chronicle books, €16.99
We predicted the popularity of bowl-led menus in 2017, and it seems Molly Watson is ready to offer readers enough recipes, mix-and-match ingredients and signature tastes to bring the fashionable bowl to life. Suggesting a combination of grains, proteins, vegetables and crunch, save yourself the wash-up and adapt your meals for these bite-sized portions.
For the serrano chile vinaigrette
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 90ml vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the cabbage kale slaw:
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale
- 1⁄4 head savoy cabbage
For the sautéed white beans:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- One 415g can white beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 220-330g shredded cooked chicken, from a home-roasted bird or purchased rotisserie bird
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- 40g roasted peanuts, finely chopped
- To make the vinaigrette, in a blender, whirl together the chile, garlic, vegetable oil, and lime juice until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make the slaw, trim the thick stems from the kale and core the cabbage. Cut the kale and cabbage into ribbons as finely as possible. Put the ribbons in a large bowl and squeeze them by the handful, “massaging” them to soften their texture a bit. Add about half of the vinaigrette, toss to combine, and let sit for about 10 minutes.
- For the beans, in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil, swirling the pan to coat the bottom. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until just starting to turn golden, about 1 minute. Add the rosemary and beans and cook, stirring, until beans are heated through and some brown bits form, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove and discard the rosemary and season the beans with salt and pepper.
- To assemble, divide the beans among four bowls. Top with the slaw and arrange the chicken and avocado on the slaw. Drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette, sprinkle with the peanuts, and serve.