Micil Irish Gin was recently awarded a silver medal in the Contemporary Style Gin category at the World Gin Awards.
This small-batch gin is made by the Micil family in Salthill, County Galway, using local flowers and herbs, which give the spirit its floral flavour.
The World Gin Awards saw more than 400 gins from around the world blind-tasted by experts. Micil Irish Gin came up trumps against the tough competition, coming home with a silver medal in the Contemporary Style Gin category. The world's best gin will be announced at The Gin Magazine Awards 2020 in London next month.
Speaking about the win, Pádraic Ó Griallais, the founder and director at Micil Distillery said, "We are absolutely delighted with this win! My mantra is that Micil will always be associated with distilling beautifully handcrafted spirits in small batches, using local flowers and herbs. For our dedication to this ethos to be recognised at such a prestigious award ceremony, so early on, is extremely rewarding. It’s a terrific feeling to see our spirit, a reflection of our unique Connemara landscape, sitting comfortably alongside some of the best producers in the world. We are extremely proud to be bringing home this win for everyone in Galway!"
View this post on Instagram
✨✨We are absolutely thrilled to announce that Micil Irish Gin has been awarded a Silver Medal at the World Gin Awards 2020! ✨✨ From day one, our mantra has been that Micil will always be associated with distilling beautifully handcrafted spirits in small batches, using local flowers and herbs. It is a fantastic feeling for our dedication to this ethos to be recognised at such a prestigious award ceremony. Although we're extremely busy behind the scenes with lots more exciting plans ahead of us for the year, it's at times like these that we remind ourselves to take a second to step back and look at just how far we've come. We reckon it will do us no harm to take a minute to pour ourselves a serve of our luxury, AWARD-WINNING Connemara gin to celebrate. Sláinte!#MicilGin #TheSpiritOfGalway
To celebrate their win, the team at Micil has shared some of their signature cocktail recipes with us, so try them out below and let us know what you think of them. Each recipe serves one.
Micil Gin Sour
- 50ml Micil Irish Gin
- 25ml fresh orange juice
- 30ml simple sugar syrup
- 1⁄2 egg white
- Slice of orange peel
- Add the gin, orange juice, sugar syrup and egg white to a cocktail shaker.
- Shake well and strain into an ice-filled glass.
- Garnish with a slice of orange peel before serving and enjoy.
- Handful of fresh blueberries
- 50ml Micil Irish Gin
- 30ml lemon juice
- Soda water
- Add six blueberries to a cocktail shaker and muddle.
- Add the gin, lemon juice and simple sugar syrup to the shaker.
- Shake and strain into slim jim tumbler glass filled with ice.
- Top up the glass with your choice of soda water and garnish with the remaining blueberries to serve.
READ MORE: Delicious Dingle Gin cocktails
Micil Gin Martini
- 70 ml Micil Irish Gin
- 5ml dry vermouth
- Lemon rind to garnish
- Chill a martini glass.
- Add the gin and dry vermouth to a cocktail shaker with ice and stir until the liquid doubles in height.
- Strain into the chilled glass and garnish with the lemon rind.