This lemon and blueberry cake recipe is perfect for summer.
"This easy, flourless cake has become very popular, and with good reason. It’s very easy to make, is light and, dare I say it, flourless. It also makes for a rather good breakfast with mixed berries" – Hugo Arnold
Yield: Serves 4
For the cake:
- 2 lemons
- 140g butter
- 3 eggs
- 250g caster sugar
- 200g ground almonds
- 175g polenta
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Punnet of blueberries
For the topping:
- 140g sugar
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 4 tablespoons full-fat yoghurt
- 1 punnet blueberries
- Cover the lemons with cold water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Drain, cover with more cold water, bring to the boil again and then lower the heat and simmer for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas mark 4. Grease a 23cm cake tin.
- When the lemons are cooked, remove the pips and blitz to a purée in a blender. Add all the other ingredients, except the blueberries, to the blender and blitz to a purée. Stir the punnet of blueberries through the batter and pour into the prepared cake tin. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Combine the sugar and lemon juice and zest in a saucepan over a low heat until melted. Pour over the cake. Serve with yoghurt and blueberries.