- 750ml water and 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 medium head white cabbage, grated
- 1 small beetroot, peeled and grated
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 2 red chillis deseeded and finely chopped
- Thumb-sized piece ginger, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- Make the brine by adding the salt to the water and stirring. Put the cabbage, beetroot and carrot in a large bowl and add the brine. Put a plate on top to keep the veg submerged and leave 3-4 hours or overnight. Drain the veg the next morning, retaining the brine.
- Combine the shallots, chillis, ginger and fish sauce and blitz with a hand blender until it’s like a paste. Pour over the veg and mix really well to ensure all the veg is coated in the paste.
- Put the veg mix into sterilised Kilner jars and pour the brine over so it’s covering the veg. Cover and leave to stand at room temperature for 3-5 days.
- It will start to bubble and ferment. Then pop it in the fridge where it will continue to ferment (but more slowly). You can enjoy it straight away and it will keep for about a month (though it never lasts that long in our house).