F&W Pick: Kimchi, egg and avocado on sourdough
Author: Jordan Bourke
Photography by Issy Croker
Orion Books, €28
Delivered in a pared back simplistic style, Jordan Bourke’s latest culinary collection reflects the ethos of producing natural, wholesome, nourishing food without all the additives. The easily accessible guide offers step-by-step instructions to cooking free from refined sugar, with savoury tarts, breads and baking treats scattered amongst the pages. You’ll struggle to buy a loaf in the shop again…
Kimchi, egg and avocado on sourdough
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for frying
- 200g kimchi, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon roasted sesame seed oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 large slices of spelt sourdough bread
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled
- Extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
- 1 avocado, stoned and sliced
- 80g feta, broken into chunks
- Sea salt and pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. When very hot, add the kimchi and fry for 3–4 minutes, stirring from time to time, until it starts to caramelise. Turn down the heat a little, add the honey and sesame seed oil and fry for another minute.
- Remove from the heat and leave to one side. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in another frying pan over a high heat. When hot put in the eggs and fry for 3–4 minutes, until the egg whites are crispy around the edges and the egg yolks are still a little runny.
- Toast the sourdough, then scrape the garlic over the top of each piece of toast, rubbing it into the surface. Season with a small pinch of salt and drizzle over some extra virgin olive oil.
- Spoon the kimchi over the toast, and top with the avocado, fried egg and feta. Season with a little pepper and serve immediately.