- 500g granary flour/malted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10g bicarbonate of soda
- 200g blue cheese, we use Wicklow Farmhouse
- 50g honey
- 100g walnuts
- 400ml milk
- 1 tablespoon yoghurt
- Combine the flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl. Crumble in the blue cheese and mix through the flour. Don’t over mix as you want to retain little pockets of blue cheese in your mix.
- Form a well in the centre and add the honey and milk along with the yoghurt. Fold in the flour with the walnuts, making sure not to over mix.
- Grease and flour a round cake tin. Add the soda bread mix and allow to stand for two to three minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas mark 6. Bake the soda bread for 30-40 minutes. The bread is cooked when the tip of a knife comes out clean when inserted into the centre.
- Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool.
Go big and bold on flavours as they are mellowed down once cooked in the bread. Even though we use a strong blue cheese, the flavour is quite subtle in the end. We infuse our honey with ginger for an extra kick.