This is my signature dashi dish at Miyazaki – it is eat-in only at the restaurant as the noodles do not travel well... they soak up all the liquid. It’s a very nourishing, healthy dish
- 400ml dashi
- 1 dried shiitake, soaked overnight
- 1 teaspoon Kikkoman light soy sauce
- 25ml mirin
- 20ml sake
- Salt to taste
- 90g buckwheat soba noodles
- 1 piece ume plum
- 1 leaf shiso
- 30g wakame
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 10g chives, finely chopped
- Heat dashi in a saucepan. Add sliced shiitake, light soy sauce, mirin and sake. Add salt to taste. When the dashi starts to boil, turn off the heat.
- Boil the soba noodles in boiling water for 4-5 minutes. When cooked, strain and rinse with cold water. Strain well. Place the noodles into the dashi and heat until it starts to boil again.
- Place into a serving bowl and garnish with wakame, shiso, ume, spring onion and chive.
Click here for a quick and easy guide to Japanese ingredients